Too Distant To Stay

Monday, August 22, 2016


Though this line of storms had been my objective as I left Cedar Rapids, Iowa on the evening of Thursday, August 18, 2016, the severe-warned cell seen in the previous two days' posts soon became the main event. The line was approaching from the northwest, some 50 miles distant in NW Fayette County Iowa when the above image was captured (7:00 pm CDT).



The northwest sky was growing ever darker as I captured the above image at 7:16 pm. Both the above and top image show my vehicle parked alongside 255th Street (D34) in Delaware County just west of Highway 13 and about 4 miles south of Manchester.


7:34 pm. The line of storms are more visible now, but still some 30 miles away. Because of their lack of strength and the fact that daylight was waning fast, I soon decided to call it a day and head for home. Nikon D7200 DSLR camera.


NEXRAD radar image of the weather situation around the time of the middle image. The target icon shows my position in relation to the storms. The boxes are severe thunderstorm watches.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP