Dug In And Waiting

Sunday, August 7, 2016



I opted to pull off US Highway 30 at 30th Avenue in southeast Benton County, Iowa before the advance of the severe cell located at the moment about 25 miles to the WNW in the Vining area. Time was before 5:30 pm CDT, Thursday, August 4, 2016. I chose the less traveled gravel section of 30th Avenue, north of US 30, to set up and wait for the storm's arrival. For a short time I considered repositioning south of the cell for a possible more advantages spot, but the cell's slight northeasterly track made me realize I was good where I was at, and even later made the decision to move north. The above image was captured at 5:28 pm from 30th Avenue about .1-mile north of US 30 and looks west. The wispy edge of the cell's anvil is apparent.



Landscape version of the scene one minute later. Nikon D7200 DSLR camera.


Radar screen capture of 5:30 pm. Black arrows indicate storm's track, target icon my spotting
position.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP