Meteoric Decline

Wednesday, August 17, 2016


The wee hours of the morning on Friday, August 12, 2016 were prime time for this year's viewing of the annual Perseids meteor shower--that is, if the sky was clear. In Cedar Rapids, Iowa, it wasn't. Also no go 24 hours later. I tried my luck in capturing any residuals from my back deck two days later, early in the morning on Sunday, August 14 as the sky was finally clear. I used my trusty Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens. My camera was set up to take continuous 20-second exposures at f/2.8, 500 ISO and 11mm focal length and was aimed at the constellation Perseus. I stopped at 125 exposures, which took place from 2:11-2:53 am CDT. Hope was that during this automatic capturing of images some bright meteors would register. As it turned out I did see three medium-bright meteors during this time, but only one faintly registered. Que sera, sera! All the effort wasn't for naught though, as I stacked all 125 images in StarStaX 2 to produce the star trails image seen above. Nikon D7200 DSLR camera.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP