July 3 Storms

Friday, July 12, 2019


The weather pattern in early July in eastern Iowa was the formations of isolated non-severe storm clusters. Such was the case on the afternoon/evening of Wednesday, July 3, 2019. Visually impressive, but not packing much of a punch in criteria with the National Weather Service. Above, the camera captured this panoramic image of a storm tracking northeast just to my south (center background) at 3:12 pm CDT, as seen from Alburnett Road and Flight Drive in the Marion, Iowa Bowman Meadows housing development. Below is a Radarscope reflectivity capture of the storm at about the same time.



3:39 pm. This somewhat ominous looking area was approaching from the southwest beneath the updraft seen in the top photograph. Same location. Nothing significant would happen here and I stayed for only about another 30 minutes before returning home.


4:39 pm. Radarscope frame capture now showing an interesting line of storms to my west. Though again not severe-warned, I hoped I might get some nice gust front pictures, so I hurried northwest to intercept. Unfortunately, the chase required driving through a large area of blinding rain (white circled area) first. My targeted line of storms to the west was moving NNE.


5:05 pm. Northbound (northwest) on Interstate 380. I just got passed by Nick Stewart and the Channel 2 Road Warrior. We obviously shared the same goal. In short order the rains came from the dark area seen at right background. It was a "core punch" of sorts, and the drenching rain didn't end until I was somewhere between the towns of Brandon and LaPorte City. 


5:25 pm. Looking west while northbound on I-380 just south of the Gilbertville exit (Exit 62). I had now caught up with the storms and was clear of most of the rain. 


5:26 pm. A second encounter with the Road Warrior and Nick Stewart. I was westbound on Poyner Road just west of the I-380 Gilbertville exit.


5:28 pm. Stationary now and in spotting position on Poyner Road, about 1.2 miles east of Gilbertville, Iowa. This storm was looking very good to my southwest and I expected it to go severe, but it did not.


Radarscope frame capture corresponding to the moment. 


5:28 pm. Panorama capture of my spotting position and vehicle.


5:33 pm. Closeup looking south toward heavy rain core.


5:34 pm. Panorama, this one wide enough to include two rain cores.


5:34 pm. Another rain core closeup.


5:36 pm. Looking southeast. This object provided a little more excitement in the storm encounter. Seen faintly at center is a descending vertical tube of air, probably a benign funnel. The vision dissipated in about 20-30 seconds. I did not linger here much longer, opting to head back south and out of the potentially heavy inbound rain.


5:48 pm. Looking east at the edge of the rain as I sped south (southeast) on I-380 near Exit 55, and away from it. Storms were not severe here, but it had been worth the drive because of the exceptional visuals. Nikon D7200 DSLR camera.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP