Batteries Not Included

Wednesday, July 18, 2018


My sister and brother-in-law hold an epic bonfire on their property in rural Shueyville, Iowa about twice a year. The bonfire is so large they contact the Shueyville Fire Department beforehand so no outside concern is raised. A gathering for a bonfire on Saturday evening, June 9, 2018 was postponed because of severe weather in the area, so a new date of July 7 was planned. I had great plans for my Nikon D7200 and Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens to capture the event. Though my camera's battery was in no danger of dying, I removed it and placed it into the charger. Fast forward to the bonfire: In ample time before the fire was lit I set up my tripod, and began to prepare the settings for striking long-exposure night photography. Then...no power, no nothing. It was at this moment that I realized the battery was still back home, nice and cozy and powered-up in the charger. A photographer's nightmare! This left me with only my iPhone 6 Plus camera, which of course was a poor substitute for something like this. So...the image above, captured at 9:30 pm CDT, is the best of the set of cell phone camera photographs of the event. Included in the image in the western sky at background right is the -4.08 magnitude planet Venus. This night was definitely a case of: batteries not included--and live and learn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP