Fifi Flyover

Friday, July 20, 2012



"I would make a terrible combat photographer" my dad would like to say to me as "Fifi," this Commemorative Air Force (CAF) B-29 Super Fortress bomber--the only airworthy one of its kind in the world--made two quick passes near my home in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on Friday evening, July 20, 2012. Hearing the droning engines, I raced outside with my camera, and in my fumbling haste and excitement failed to focus or even zoom properly on the aircraft as it made its fleeting appearance aloft. The inset shows "Fifi" at 5:15 PM on it first pass, heading east; and the main image at 5:17 PM as it was flying south. The flights were part of a two-day stay at the Eastern Iowa Airport by the aircraft. The B-29 served the United States Army Air Corps during World War II from 1943-1945, and then again during the first stages of the Korean War in 1950 in an emergency capacity, even though by then it was vulnerable to defensive attack.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP