Tales of Gilgamesh

Friday, May 31, 2019



With continuous heavy rain occurring in Cedar Rapids before I considered driving south to intercept severe storms in Henry County in southeast Iowa on the evening of Tuesday, May 28, 2019, I left with some trepidation. Flash flood talk was continuous on the radio, and I wondered if what I was going to do was in fact, foolish. Above, an Emergency Alert sounded on my iPhone at 5:36 pm CDT, while I was southbound on US Highway 218 in Washington County. Now I was spooked!


Upon arriving, and after a brief stay in Mount Pleasant where a benign line of storms passed through, more dire warnings of flash flooding was forecast from another approaching line of stronger storms. I finally decided for safety sake it was in my best interest to abort the storm intercept now and get out of "Dodge." In the Go Pro video frame capture image above, I am returning north in heavy rain on US Highway 218 about 2.5 miles north of Mount Pleasant in Henry County at 6:40 pm.


6:45 pm. Continuing north on US Highway 218, about one mile south of Swedesburg, Iowa in northern Henry County. The combination of waning daylight and blinding rain made for an increasingly stressful ride. Farm fields (background) were at this time about 50% inundated. Later, and despite reaching home safely, I regretted I ignored prudence and ever took this trip. A lesson learned! Nikon D7200 DSLR camera.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP