Anyone See My Mercury?

Wednesday, April 13, 2016


The sky was clear, the -0.53 magnitude planet Mercury was 15 degrees above the horizon
after sunset, and I had an unobstructed view of the western horizon Tuesday evening, April
12, 2016. So where was Mercury? My SkyView app on my iPhone showed it was there, but
my eyes proved otherwise. Apparently just enough atmospheric haze existed at horizon level to prevent its viewing. The above image looks west from Hindman Road, .1-mile north of Radio Road and northeast of Marion, Iowa at 7:49 pm CDT. The consolation prize was a pastel sunset afterglow--not to mention the soft lowing of cows and the smell of manure. :-)


The image above looks along Radio Road at 7:55 pm, and below at 8:15 pm.


The three radio transmitter towers of WMT AM 600 are seen at right. Temperature was 48 degrees F.
Nikon D7200 DSLR camera.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP