Short Range Storm Chase

Saturday, June 15, 2013




I had been waiting for storms to initiate in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa area since around 3:30 PM on Wednesday, June 12, 2013. Storm cells--some tornado warned--were indeed popping up in northeast Iowa and southwest Wisconsin but all were staying north. Around 4:15 PM I finally decided that I would miss out on the action unless I headed north (the SPC had issued a PDS warning for NE Iowa, SW Wisconsin and northern Illinois). As I continually consulted my PYKL3 radar app from my cell phone I formulated my target as Manchester, Iowa in Delaware County. About four miles south of Manchester on Highway 13, I could see what appeared to be a forming wall cloud at my 11:00 o'clock position. The top two images show my spotter position on 255th Street (County Highway D34), just west of Highway 13. The top image shows a tail cloud feeding into the wall cloud at 5:00 PM, and the middle image shows the wall cloud 15 minutes later. The bottom image illustrates a GOES satellite image of cloud tops above the wall cloud (blue ring) and my position (red dot).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP