Fool's Gold Or Treasure?

Sunday, February 19, 2012

I was busy photographing star trails a few miles from this location in Marion, Iowa when I noticed what appeared to be a large bank of clouds situated low across the northern horizon after 9:00 PM, Saturday, February 18, 2012. To be sure, some isolated cirrus clouds were passing overhead at this moment but the northern scene appeared far removed from the cirrus. I had been aware of aurora potential throughout the day so I relocated to a better vantage point about 2 miles to the west and took this image. The image looks north from Echo Hill Presbyterian Church along C Avenue. Upon returning home, I checked out spaceweather.com and noticed how far south the aurora oval was and soon viewed photos of Northern Lights displays from the neighboring states of North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. I'm still not sure if these are indeed far off aurora, but the scene never seemed to vary or move as clouds would. This is a 25 second exposure shot at f/4.5, 640 ISO and 18mm focal length and photographed around 9:32 PM.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP