Smoke Plume From Early Morning Fire

Sunday, July 31, 2011

A smoke plume from a major fire rises and drifts in the southwestern sky around 12:48 AM, Saturday, July 30, 2011 as seen from Boyson Road near Timber Oak Court in Marion, Iowa. The fire was located at a mixed-housing and commercial complex under construction at 6th Street and 12th Avenue SE in downtown Cedar Rapids, about 5.3 miles away. Despite the distance, the smell of smoke was noticeable from this position. The fire reportedly started around 12:15 AM and was put under control about an hour later, but the building was a total loss. This image was captured using a 6-second exposure at f/5.3, 400 ISO and 40mm focal length.

5 comments:

Anonymous,  August 1, 2011 at 1:11 PM  

I like your blog-especially the cloud pics! I added a link on my site tcofs.com- reply to this comment or send me an email if you want it changed or removed. Thanks!

Gregg Alliss August 2, 2011 at 4:44 AM  

Thank you for your comment!

I purchased my Nikon D5000 camera over a year ago and I love it. It's a continuous learning process.

I'm now always looking for any photo opportunity when it comes to the sky, and the sky always has a different look.

A storm chase on April 9 that I was a part of kind of gave my camera its initiation, as I photographed and took video of a half-dozen tornadoes!

Anonymous,  August 2, 2011 at 5:20 AM  

Wow! It seems like most tornadoes in the CR area dissipate as they get this far East. I shoot with Canon, but hopefully you won't hold that against me :]

Gregg Alliss August 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gregg Alliss August 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM  

You're right about the storms dissipating in the Cedar Rapids area, at least this year. Actually, the storm chase on April 9 was in western Iowa, starting with the EF3 tornado that struck Mapleton around 7:30 PM that evening. The remaining five or more twisters were "seen" by our group at night, northeast of Mapleton in the Ida Grove, Early and Nemaha areas. I later had to rely on video frame captures provided by lightning flashes to get still images of the tornadoes once it got dark.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP