Mercury Achieves Greatest Elongation

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mercury, always a challenge to observe because of the planet's close proximity to the sun, achieved its greatest western elongation Sunday morning, January 9, 2011. This nine-second exposure at f/6.3 of a clear southeastern sky captured Mercury (left center between power lines and horizon) just 2 1/2 hours before its greatest elongation (maximum angle between the sun and an inferior planet as seen from Earth). Mercury's apparent magnitude was -0.22. The bright star between the power lines at right center is the red giant Antares, in the constellation Scorpius. The brightest object at upper right is the planet Venus, which achieved its own greatest western (morning) elongation the previous day. This image was shot around 6:30 AM, January 9 along Boyson Road near Timber Oak Place in Marion, Iowa. The artificial lights along the horizon at right belong to the city of Marion. Air temperature at this time was -1 degree F.

3 comments:

Anna Schafer April 6, 2019 at 2:34 AM  

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. Interior Photographer

Silke Fisher April 25, 2019 at 2:13 AM  

Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. fashion advertising photographer

David Cressy July 5, 2021 at 1:42 AM  

I really impressed after read this because of some quality work and informative thoughts . I just wanna say thanks for the writer and wish you all the best for coming!. Wedding Planners

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP