Scud Dud

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Shortly after I was assuring a neighbor that no further storms would reach our area in northeast Cedar Rapids, Iowa around 7:00 PM on April 6, 2010, I began to hear thunder and see churning black clouds to our northwest. So much activity that I jumped in my car to take up a storm spotter's position. As I turned north on C Avenue NE from Boyson Road, I saw this very low-hanging cloud about a half-mile ahead of me. I continued driving and eventually stopped at the Echo Hill Presbyterian Church on C Avenue to get a better view of it. Sirens were sounding, but I was not convinced it was a genuine funnel cloud, so I did not phone in a spotter's report. The cloud soon broke up and later weather data determined that it probably was not tornadic, just a scary and unique looking scud cloud. This view looks north on C Avenue as the cloud was drifting over the road from left to right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP